23 October 2014

A Diwali card from the album

Mum wasn't much of a traveller but she loved getting postcards from people who were, people like me. She would pin them onto a notice board until it was full then transfer them to albums.  When I brought these albums home with me, took all the postcards out of the album and put them in date order, the (unkept) diary of my 20s was laid out before me. What a gift that was to leave me. My own life archived and passed on.

She was also interested in other cultures and religions and loved being given bits and pieces from my travels, many of which have returned to me now.  For a few years I lived just off Belgrave Road in Leicester - a road lined with Indian restaurants, shops and businesses and famous for its lights at Diwali and Christmas. I got into the habit of sending Mum a card for Diwali.

This is one that I found on her bookshelf, sent for the 2nd November which was the date of Diwali that year, and posted here for Diwali 2014.



No comments:

Post a Comment